Benefits of joining SCAAPT
- Attend local physics teacher meetings. At the semiannual section meetings you will have access to perhaps the best resource that may help you and your students- other physics teachers in Southern California. Conversations over morning coffee, lunch or at the poster session can lead to new ideas and relationships that can help you and your students throughout the year.
- Members receive emails detailing the latest physics-related events across Southern California. (These emails are generated by other members; everybody is encouraged to share seminar and colloquia announcements.)
- Learn about new job openings. Throughout the year, other physics teachers post announcements about teaching opportunities.
- While the semiannual meetings are a great way to connect with the local community, SCAAPT also supports its members beyond these meetings with Local Area Networks (LANs). LANs are member-intitated groups of teachers, faculty, retirees and/ or non-academic professionals who share ideas related to physics and teaching. Best of all, section members can apply to have some of their LAN’s expenses reimbursed.
The American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) is the premier professional society for physics education. While AAPT and SCAAPT have similar missions, they are separate organizations. Joining one does not automatically make one a member of the other. You can learn more about AAPT’s programs (national meetings, professional development, networking, and student enrichment) and how to be come a AAPT member by visiting AAPT’s website.
How to Join SCAAPT
- Reside within Southern California. Our By-Laws define this region to be “approximately defined by U. S. Postal Service ZIP Codes whose first three digits are between 900 and 935, inclusive.”
- Complete the application form below.
- That’s it! Currently SCAAPT charges no membership dues!!! (There is a small fee to attend a semiannual section meeting.)
Please note that current members can also renew their membership and/ or update their information with the below form. Simply enter your email address and last name and click “Subscribe”. An email with further instructions will be sent to you.